To the right of this column is just what it says it is: A map of "Historic Places in Northeast Sequoyah County," drawn by Sequoyah County Historical Society president Earl Strebeck.
The map shows historic sites visited by club member during their October, 2007, one-day fall tour. To identify the 16 sites, use this key:
1. Miller Ridge; 2. Josh Pickard Road; 3. Maple and Maple Cemetery; 4. Long; 5. Belfonte; 6. Simon Denny Home; 7. Seabolt Cemetery; 8 Belfonte School; 9. Elohim City; 10. Parris Mound; 11. Short; 12. Stites-Shankingbush Home; 13. Boyhood Home of Houston Teehee; 14. Salt Branch; 15. Nicut; 16. Chief Black Fox Grave.
The history club makes an annual "outing" each fall and president Strebeck told me that the 2008 tour will feature southeast Sequoyah County, to be guided and narrated by Bob Dalton, a native of that area.
The date for the southeast tour has not yet been set, but probably will be in October, Strebeck said. But that information will appear in Your TIMES. For further information, contact Strebeck at 775-6281 or Dalton at 775-0221.
BY EARL STREBECK 2007
1. Miller Ridge - The community was named for an early resident, Winchester Miller. When the school was built, the Cherokees of the area insisted that it be named Sequoyah. Mrs. Tommie
Spear started her teaching career here in 1916.
2. Josh Pickard Road - Dedicated in 2007 for Josh Pickard a young soldier and the grandson of Lawrence and Betty Pickard who was killed in Iraq in 2006.
3. Maple and Maple Cemetery - Maple was the District Seat of the Sequoyah District. The Sequoyah District Courthouse was located across the branch south of the Maple Cemetery. (the cemetery, 1869, was originally called the Court House Cemetery) The building was the second one built for a courthouse. It was used until 1902 when it was sold and razed. Dr. J.A. Morrow started his medical career in Maple. He later owned the house that is now the Sequoyah County
Historical Society's Museum.
4. Long - Originally called Long Town, the town was named for Peter Long. Now mostly vacant, Long once had several businesses including a bank and post office. It was probably the most
progressive town in the area. The present church stands where the old school building stood.
5. Belfonte - Originally spelled Bellefonte, a french word meaning "beautiful water" Belfonte was named by french traders. They came up the Lee's Creek from the Arkansas River at a very early date. In 1859 a Cherokee school was established here. At the Belfonte turnoff is the old home of Jim Eagle who's wife owned an oil well. Jim also had the first car in the area. In time he
lost his fortune.
6. Simon Denny Home - Just passed Belfonte on 101-64B Highway is the old home of Simon Denny. Simon later lived in Sallisaw and is related to Johnny Dale Denny, a Society member.
7. Seabolt Cemetery - This Cemetery was established in 1857 by Nancy Seabolt when 2 of her slave children died and were buried there. Their graves are covered with sand stone monuments
and one is engraved with the date 1857.
8. Belfonte School - This school dates from 1955 when the Belfonte, Copic and Oakdale schools were consolidated. It is now a modern school with several new buildings.
9. Elohim City - On Highway 101 just before you cross the Lee's Creek bridge is a road turning north. Up this road about one-half a mile is Elohim City. It has 70 to 90 residences and covers 400 acres. It is thought that Tim McVey spent some time here.
10. Parris Mound - On highway 101 after crossing the Lee's Creek bridge and traveling about one-half mile on the right is the Parris Mound and near by ancient Indian village site. According to Guy Muto of the University of Notre Dame, the Parris Mound is believed to have been built over 1000 years ago by the Caddoan Indians who built the Spiro Mounds. One sample dated it
back to l525 A.D. making it older than the Spiro Mounds. Muto and students did archaeological digs in 1977. -Seq. Co. Times, Nov. 6, 1977 The Mound was dedicated on July 16, 1977, and named for M.O. Parris who owned and preserved the site for over 50 years. The Sequoyah County Historical Society was in charge of the program. -SCT July 7,1977
11. Short - Originally called Shakespeare, I.T.. Short became Short on December 5, 1908, when the community acquired a new post office. Today, it is sparsely populated with no businesses.
A Baptist Church and the old Roastingear home are still there.
12. Stites-Shankingbush Home - The third oldest home in Short is known as the George Stites Place. It was built by Sam Snow in 1850. Snow came from Arkansas and taught school in Short at the John Vann School. In 1907, it became property of the Shankingbush family; and the George Stites Place when Stites married one of the Shankingbush daughters. Very few old homes
like this double log cabin are left in Sequoyah County.
(We will double back over Highway 101 to Highway 64B and on to Nicut.)
13. Boyhood Home of Houston Teehee - On Highway 64B before entering Nicut, the first road to the left will take you past the Boyhood Home Of Houston Teehee. Teehee was later Registrar of the Treasurer of the United States and very active in Cherokee affairs. The Teehee Family Cemetery is across the road north of the home. Overgrowth now hides the Cemetery.
14. Salt Branch - On the same road as the Teehee home before entering Nicut, you will cross the Salt Branch. About a mile up this branch is the Sequoyah Salt Works.
15. Nicut - Once called Vrona, the Postal Department asked the name be changed. Chester Jones, Postmaster (1927) picked the name Nicut because there was only one other Post Office in the United States named Nicut and it was in California. Nicut once had several businesses, churches and 2 lodges: the Odd Fellows Lodge and the Anti-Horse Thief Lodge.
16.Chief Black Fox Grave - About a mile north of Nicut and just beyond the E.908 Road but on the opposite side or east side, of Highway 64B is a lane that leads to Chief Black Fox's grave. The grave is near the old Copic Community. According to Henry T. Malone's, Cherokees Of The South, Black Fox was Chief of the Western Cherokees from 1801 to 1811. He came to what is now Oklahoma with the Old Settler Cherokees.
Return to Sallisaw via 101 and 59 highways. Pass through New Hope and Akins.