Vian woman dies following fire

A Vian woman whose home caught fire early Friday morning reportedly passed away on Sunday evening.

Vian Fire Chief Keith Boshers said Friday morning that the Vian Fire Department was called to a house fire just before 7:30 a.m. when Blackmer's residence at 503 N. Thornton caught fire for un known reasons.

Boshers said Blackmer and her son, Chris Blackmer, were both at the residence when the fire started and Chris Blackmer reportedly tried to help his mother out of the home.

Judy Blackmer was reportedly taken by ambulance to a Fort Smith hospital for burns she sustained in the fire and Chris Blackmer left the residence on his own accord after being released for treatment of his injuries.

Boshers said firefighters were called back out about 6:20 a.m. Saturday after the fire reignited, causing the rest of the home's exterior to fall.

Mayor Dennis Fletcher said the fire department was there for about three and one-half hours on Saturday extinguishing the blaze.

Sequoyah County Times

111 N. Oak
Sallisaw OK 74955
918-775-4433